Upcoming Launch Schedule

ROCC 2023-2024 Launch Schedule:

All launches are at the Midland, NC site unless otherwise stated.*

Apr. 20, 2024 (21st very doubtful due to rain)

May 18 & 19, 2024

Jun. 15 & 16, 2024 (Field Permitting)

Here are some other launch opportunities in our area:

ICBM & ROSCO, better known as South Carolina Rocketry, flies near Dalzelle, SC., Just NE of Shaw AFB.  More information can be gotten at their site HERE

The Saturn Rocketry Club in Hendersonville is currently switching their launch field. As soon as we know where they land we will post it. Their FB site is HERE

NC Rocketry flies at Bayboro, NC in the northeast part of the state, information is HERE

Set-up starts at about 9:30, launches commence about 10:30. Field closes about 60 min. before local dusk so we can clean up. Watch the site front page for specifics. Also visit us on FaceBook. You can also check for the FAA NOTAM at https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/ and using KCLT (Charlotte) as the location. This will give you the starting and ending times for HP flights. 

* If field is available due to crops, etc.

Discussion > Need some Help !!

I have been working on something with a couple of other ROCC members and the other day our fearless leader gave us the go ahead to pursue this project. We are looking for an alternate fied for summer flying. I know this has been presented in the past but we have always run into issues. Sandy and I have taken it upon ourselves to address what we felt was one of the real issues.

Nobody wanted to come right out and say it but I am pretty sure logistics has been in the back of folks minds. It makes for a very long day if someone has to go over to the farm and get all the gear and then head to another sight to set up and fly. This will no longer be an issue. I am building the pads and Sandy is building the launch controller. I will have the pad prototype at the December launch. The goal is to have 4 of the pads and two racks by spring.

We need everyone's help with this. The goal is an MPR field that meets NAR requirements and fly under the ROCC umbrella. Please look for some land, if you know of something but don't have time to check it out let Sandy or me know as we really want to see this happen. As it is right now we miss out on some very nice flying.

December 12, 2010 | Registered CommenterPaul Phillips

This is from my phone so its brief. I think if we found a summer field we could come up with enough stuff to put at a location provided we could get storage nearby.
It could be as simple as a trailer that we could either tow or secure on site or at someones house. I'm sure we could come up with a 6 channel launch system fairly cheaply and you're building pads. We just need to find a field.
I think that's been the big hold up is finding private land that's affordable. Where have we looked in the past and where can we look next?
D

December 13, 2010 | Registered CommenterDoc_R

I'm working one angle, but to do this right, we should put our best foot forward.

1: We need to 'spec' what is required so people aren't pursuing something that is pointless. For example, I know a field where we could fly LPR that is in this area, however it is currently used by an RC club and they pay good money. I doubt we'd like to spend more on this field than the farm. Specifically, we need to set minimums or at least categorize. Something like:

LPR: XXX size, max $, region
MPR: YYY size, max $$, region
HPR: ZZZ size, max $$$, region.

2: We need to prepare a 'package' of who we are and at least put together a fact sheet (not necessarily a script, but at least the key points) to help each member approach a perspective person. This will make us look more professional and also make sure that people don't forget about the types of outreach, insurance, waiver information etc.

I think we should discuss this in a little detail at the fliers meeting on Sunday. A little prep work will go a long way.

Sandy.

December 16, 2010 | Registered CommenterSandy Houston