Upcoming Launch Schedule

ROCC 2023-2024 Launch Schedule:

All launches are at the Midland, NC site unless otherwise stated.*

Apr. 20, 2024 (21st very doubtful due to rain)

May 18 & 19, 2024

Jun. 15 & 16, 2024 (Field Permitting)

Here are some other launch opportunities in our area:

ICBM & ROSCO, better known as South Carolina Rocketry, flies near Dalzelle, SC., Just NE of Shaw AFB.  More information can be gotten at their site HERE

The Saturn Rocketry Club in Hendersonville is currently switching their launch field. As soon as we know where they land we will post it. Their FB site is HERE

NC Rocketry flies at Bayboro, NC in the northeast part of the state, information is HERE

Set-up starts at about 9:30, launches commence about 10:30. Field closes about 60 min. before local dusk so we can clean up. Watch the site front page for specifics. Also visit us on FaceBook. You can also check for the FAA NOTAM at https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/ and using KCLT (Charlotte) as the location. This will give you the starting and ending times for HP flights. 

* If field is available due to crops, etc.

Discussion > spools??

I was able to get some spools from a construction site this past week. Anyone want them??

Just give a donation of your choice to the club and you got one. Hope that's kosher.

January 8, 2011 | Registered CommenterDoug Knight

What are their dimensions?

January 13, 2011 | Registered CommenterKeith Biddinger

Well, since this is a forum, I assume that thread-jacking is permitted, so let me be the first to thread-jack a thread.

Doug: I have your rail and will bring it to the launch whenever we get back to the field. One Rule - You (or your students) have to convert the packaging to an I-motor rocket! Of course, you can add fins, nosecone etc, as it is just a tube, but . . .and here's the catch. . .if you do it at the launch and fly it successfully that day, the rail will be donated for free, no strings attached. I will be glad to post the specs if you will undertake the challenge. If not, I'm willing to deliver the rail anyway, but my shipping fees are terrible!!!! (j/k about the last part, but I wanted to sound ominous).

Sandy (the rail hog) H.

January 14, 2011 | Registered CommenterSandy Houston

So we make the spool such that it attaches to the rail or a launch rod, make the spool into a rocket that day, fly it successfully on an I motor, we get the rail for free......in the immortal words of MTV Celibrity Death Match, "Let's Get It ON!"

January 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterDoug Knight

Hmmm. Close but not quite. I was thinking you take the cardboard tube the rail came in, make and fly it on an I and get the rail for free. Its a decent tube (around 3" +/- and over 8ft lg). Maybe a little more challenging than a spool conversion, but with a little prep ahead of time (make the MMT, cut the fins and make a nosecone) it could be done in a hour or so.

Interested???

Sandy.

January 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterSandy Houston

Tube spec's:

OD: 3.35" approx
ID: 3.025" approx
Length: 100" (assuming the ends get cut off a little to clean-up from shipping)
Weight: 4# 8 5/8 oz at 106" in length.

I am willing to pre-slot the tube if I get the specs prior to Friday @ 5:00 pm. I might be able to get a nosecone together if it can be a little heavy (say, 12 + oz for an approx 4:1 or 5:1 ogive, just guessing). I'd even be willing to cut a couple of centering rings if you commit to a motor diameter by noon Weds. I've got tubular nylon, tube for 38mm or 54mm MMTs, rail buttons, expanding foam. . . sounds like a good build.

It occurs that this 'thing' would still be a 'kit' in that I could pre-make some parts ahead of time and if a student assembled it, that would make a valid L1 attempt. . . .Hmmmmmm. . . .anyone in your class looking for L1?!?!?! I'm not willing to buy the I motor, but you can also fly one of my cameras. . . .

Sandy.

PS: [smack mode off] If this would detract from the class curriculum and/or test flights for USLI, don't even consider it. Its pretty much a 'hey, can you do this' challenge and isn't worth distracting from a real project. [smack mode nominal]

PS^2: Keith asked a valid - non-thread-jacking question above in post #2 and you didn't answer. I guess I'm a bad thread-jacker since I posted that. . . .

January 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterSandy Houston

I picked up a couple of the spools and plan to make them into viable spool rockets. The trick is that the large center cardboard tube is going to be discarded and replaced with three thin tubes over the threaded rods. The idea being to trim the excess weight.

January 28, 2011 | Registered CommenterBrad Shea