Upcoming Launch Schedule

ROCC 2023-2024 Launch Schedule:

All launches are at the Midland, NC site unless otherwise stated.*

Apr. 20, 2024 (21st very doubtful due to rain)

May 18 & 19, 2024

Jun. 15 & 16, 2024 (Field Permitting)

Here are some other launch opportunities in our area:

ICBM & ROSCO, better known as South Carolina Rocketry, flies near Dalzelle, SC., Just NE of Shaw AFB.  More information can be gotten at their site HERE

The Saturn Rocketry Club in Hendersonville is currently switching their launch field. As soon as we know where they land we will post it. Their FB site is HERE

NC Rocketry flies at Bayboro, NC in the northeast part of the state, information is HERE

Set-up starts at about 9:30, launches commence about 10:30. Field closes about 60 min. before local dusk so we can clean up. Watch the site front page for specifics. Also visit us on FaceBook. You can also check for the FAA NOTAM at https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/ and using KCLT (Charlotte) as the location. This will give you the starting and ending times for HP flights. 

* If field is available due to crops, etc.

Discussion > Measuring BP for Ejection Charges

Can someone give me an acceptable way to measure black powder accurately for ejection charges? I cannot find anything that I can use to measure the called for black powder amount in either grams/mililiters at the increment to be accurate.

What do you use?

Any help is appreciated!!!

John Metcalf

February 23, 2011 | Registered CommenterJohn Metcalf

Maybe something like this? http://www.gramscales.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=567

The other thing is that if you're using 4F powder you can use one of the little plastic vials that come with Aerotech reloads. It's got a little scale on the side of it.

DR

February 23, 2011 | Registered CommenterDOC R.

Thanks Doc. I never realized they had a scale on the side of the bp vial w/Aerotech reloads. That may solve my problem.

John

February 24, 2011 | Registered CommenterJohn Metcalf

I've been using the Aerotech vials for a while as well. I'm not sure how precise you really have to be, honestly. I think +/- a little is usually not an issue. My LOC IV in DD config uses 3/4 gram for apogee and 1 1/2 grams for main with 2 shear pins. My Minnie Magg DD uses more, but I forgot to write down how much, so I probably should ground test again. . .

Last note would be that I did finally use Q2G2 igniters for the charges the last 2 flights. Powered by the Raven, the charges went off without a hitch.

Sandy.

February 26, 2011 | Registered CommenterSandy Houston

Thanks Sandy; very useful informaton. I have the Loc Forte and the Mad Cow Super DX3 I'm coverting to DD mode and all of the advice given is very helpful.

John

February 28, 2011 | Registered CommenterJohn Metcalf