Brian Helms and I visited the potential summer launch site for the club off Hwy 109 in Montgomery County last Saturday. The site is right off the Highway between the towns of Eldorado and Uwaharrie. The good thing: it is in the middle of nowhere, the bad thing: it is the middle of nowhere. I hope to have a photo real soon I will try to scan a print out of both the Williams farm and this site side by side. The main field that has the best promise is a patch of land in from of this Trading Post right off the Highway. It is currently a Horse pasture but according to Chris and his Grandmother (The Land Owners) they would be moved the days of the launches. The site would have ample parking at the edge of the field and we would set up pads around the field to take advantage of the wind. The trading post offers plenty of supplies, gas(BP), food, etc. The only bad thing was I did not get good cell phone reception there with Verizon, that can be good though. The field is about the equivalent to the North field, from the road to the ditch at Williams farm. (The field between the White house and Simpson's house.) My main concern is the highway, Hwy 109 (Speed Limit - 55mph) right beside it. If the winds are out of the East - Northeast, everything will recover toward the highway. Also with the Trading post across the highway, a lot of folks stop in and would also create a hazzard if models float across the road. Ideally we should keep it a "D" and under field. The field is about 1 hour 15 minutes from UNC Charlotte up Hwy 49, past Albemarle. It was almost 60 miles from my house in East Charlotte. Would everyone be willing to drive to that field to fly D and under models? Everyone pipe up and send a comment or question or call me. I am curious what you all think. I want to thank Brian and his wife for finding this possible site, it was nice of them to take 3 hours of their time to show me around and introduce me to the family. There are pictures after the jump.
Mondays Experimental launch is open to both TRA (Tripoli only) Levels 2 and 3 for Commercial and research motors. Also, got a request from Doug Knight, our favorite collage professor. Doug is looking for a room mate to share expenses. Anyone with a room or hasen't gotten one yet, and who wants to share the cost give him a E-call at firstname.lastname@example.org. I have it on good authority that he has broken the mold of the typical Prof, and is actually quite tidy and dosen't eat much.
For all you Rocket Junkies who are getting a nervous tick, don't worry, we can all get our fix at Orangeburg this Labor Day Weekend. I've gotten a few E-questions. Yes there is a Freedom Launch web site, go to www.tripolisc.org, and click under the great picture of our very own Ralph Roberts Patriot pictured at ignition on a redline engine. Good shot. For us visiting fliers, there is a $20 a day flight fee, or $55 for the 3 day weekend. Sat and Sun is regular "Sport" rocket launch's, all engines you're certified to fly. Monday is the "Experimental" launch day "Tripoli cert level 2 and 3" only. As I understand it, Cert Level 2 can fly certified engines only. Level 3 does the experimental launch's. Check out all the prize's listed for the raffle. Buy tickets. See the rules for the "Mile High" competition. Go for it. Because of the sprinklers that roll through the Sod Farm, it is suggested that you don't set up your shade shelters until Sat morning if you get there early, and be prepared that you may have to remove them in the evening. Anouncements will be made. The sprinklers and site rules also mean that there is NO overnight camping and NO open fires of course. You can still check with the Days Inn across the street, but be quick, Ralph is pretty sure that it will fill up soon if it hasen't already. 1-803-534-0500. OK. Take care, hope that takes care of you immediate questions. See you there I hope. Roy, ROCC Sec.
Everyone: Anyone interested in checking out the new potential summer launch site that is East of Albemarle is welcome to Join myself and Brian. We will be meeting in Locust, NC at the Food Lion (On Hwy 24/27) parking lot at 9:00am. The site is a 30 acre site across or behind a trading post on Hwy 109 just east of Baden Lake. The land owner also the owner of the trading post is excited about having us come out. Apparently they don't have a lot going on down their and we would provide some entertainment and possibly be able to recruit new flyers in the area. I thought of doing a demo launch, however do to the extremely dry conditions maybe we should just meet and greet this time. If interested, call me today or tonight. Much thanks to Brian in locating this spot, hopefully we will find it suitable. Thanks, Ralph Roberts ROCC Prez C-704-560-0147 H-704-568-1070
Everyone: I hate to say I dropped the ball about getting up with Doc regarding a build session at his shop and I apologize. (Doc, could we do this say in September if we don't fly?) However, Brian Helms has found us a potential alternate site, however, it is past Albemarle and on the other side of Badin Lake on Hwy 109. I have ask him if we can go look at it this weekend. My thoughts were maybe we could meet at Williams farm or somewhere, whom ever is interested, then head out there to view the site. The key is we have landowner permission already! I let you know when I her back from Brian, may be could plan on a mid-morning time to avoid some of the heat? We could also make it a launch equipment clean up day. Since our stuff will be down over the summer I figure we can give it a good cleaning/painting and lubricating to be ready for the fall. Ken, from Al's Hobbies was shipping the motor orders yesterday, so I have a feeling they may get here soon, so if you ordered something you will have Magazine buisness anyway. Note: Freedom launch is fast approaching in Orangeburg, they have the official annoucement up on www.tripolisc.org. I know a lot of you are going so keep busy working on those projects. Anyway, if interested in meeting Saturday please email Ralph at email@example.com ASAP. Sincerely, Ralph Roberts ROCC Prez and Prefect.
Received from Ken Good, president of TRA. As many or most may have heard by now, Judge Reggie Walton's office contacted TRA/NAR legal counsel Marty Malsch at about Noon on July 26, to notify him that the hearing of July 27 was canceled, and the court would get back to him on rescheduling. No further information was provided, and it is not always expected that the staff person who called would be able to do so. Mark Bundick and I were already in transit to Washington when Marty was able to get in touch to let us know. We therefore met with Marty for a dinner meeting, in which we discussed what this may mean and also future strategic steps we may take, depending on the outcome of the case. In brief, Marty could not say for sure why the judge canceled, although it is possible that he recognized that this status hearing (for which date he had previously expressed that he would be able to render the court opinion on the cross motions for summary judgement) was not required, and he has enough documentation to rule from the bench in the very near future. This is speculation on our part at the moment, but Marty (after conferring with our senior counsel, Joe Egan) did express that this could be a positive sign. In any case, Marty's best assessment was that he did not expect the judge to delay for very long whatever he was going to do, whether it is to reschedule a hearing for oral arguments or issue rulings. I know we were all waiting in great anticipation of an outcome on July 27 or shortly thereafter, and believe me, Mark Bundick and I share everyone's frustration that this has not yet occurred. As soon as we receive any further information from the court, I will pass it along to the membership. Ken Good
Again, Welcome, Welcome to all you Rocket Scientists, young and old, male and female, nerd and geek. It is good to be a Rocket Science Geek. As you already know Saturdays launch was PACKED. We had the 22 Scouts with family members and friends plus many of our regular fliers. Again, thanks to Mr. Brad McLelland and Mr. David Hutchinson with Cub Scout Pack 214 of Matthews for the kind Thank-You letters. Like Ralph, our clubs Prez said, we really enjoyed having you come out, consider yourself welcome any time. We found 4 rockets we think are Scouts by end of Sunday. So you got to come back. Sunday the 22nd of July was suppose to be better than Saturday but it to was a bit breezy. Not as bad but it did not really get dead calm till later in the afternoon early evening. The attendance was quite a lot lighter and many didn�t arrive till after 1pm so we had a non-rushed, fly�em when your ready routine for most of the day. Everyone was able to take their time with prepping and fly when they were ready.
Welcome to all you Rocket Scientists, young and old, male and female, nerd and geek. Saturdays launch on the 21st of July was PACKED. We had 22 Scouts (that indicated as Scout on the sign-in sheet) from Pack 214 in Matthews come out. Plus all family members and friends. Thanks to Mr. Brad McLelland and Mr. David Hutchinson with Cub Scout Pack 214 of Matthews for the kind Thank-You letters. Like Ralph, our club Prez said, we really enjoyed having you come out, consider yourself welcome any time. We found 4 rockets we think are Scouts by end of Sunday. So you got to come back. So, with our regular members also on site, we had 56 actual flyers, with a whooping 153 documented flights for the day, which ended at 8pm dusk dark with Mark Ferrell�s high powered �Skid-more� launch, which was beautifully spectacular in the near dark. SO that is why I�m putting out Saturdays report separately first. It is going to be a big listing of fliers and flights all by it self. Also, many of you with business and school e-address have blockers or maximum limits on your e-mail reception.
The July Launch is a go at Williams Farm for July 21st and 22nd. The soybeans are coming up about 2"-3" two weeks ago and per Kip, he felt they would not be an issue except for the smallest of rockets. Be sure to watch your step as you recover rockets. The South field is 1/3 planted in corn to the lower side. It is tall and will eat rockets. I will have walkie-talkies to help in recovery.
We will be running the launch from 11:00AM to 8:00PM Saturday and Sunday, with one small exception. I group of around 30-40 cub/boy scouts are coming out early Saturday to launch their scout projects, so we will setup the range by 10:00am to get them started. I need volunteers for early setup and to help RSO and Pad Manage to launch as many of their projects as possible.
Ken Allen from Performance Hobbies will be here this weekend, this is rare for him to come down in the summer. He has the new redline load for the 29mm 40-120 Hobby case.
Brent Johnson from Hobbytown USA will be her Saturday only, he also has a fairly fresh supply of mid-power aerotech motors.
Weather is favorable for a campout this weekend, would there be any interest. Let me know ASAP so that may ask Kip.
Again we will NOT have the Porta-A-Potty at this launch. There has not been a huge number of folks requesting information about the launch so I am not going to get one. However, if a lot of people request it by Thursday night, I will reconsider.
Usually there is a light turnout in summer months so I figured we could pass. We will have a Porta-A-Potty this month.
It will be Hot this weekend, bring lots of water and sunscreen and shade if you have it. I will have my tent as well by the flight line.
Note: With the leftover barley stalks, long pants and or long socks may be a good thing, they can be sharp.
Launch Duty Roster:
Please let me know who and when you can help with the launch. It will be Hot and we should cycle folks in and out to help ease the burden.
Setup Rules: (reminder)
We will no longer setup rods or rails on the High Power pads during the setup. Just assemble the Tri-pods with the launch rod holders. Lay out rods and rails in the back by the white PVC pipe so people can pick and choose what they need. As Mid-Power and High-Power fliers come back they can choose the rod or rail they need.
Everyone, when you do insert a rod or rail into the launch rod holders be sure to tighten down both the rod/rail Eye-bolt plus the angle-adjust Eye-bolt and pull test to make sure it is locked in place. We don't want it to tip and fall before or during a launch.
We need as many people as we can to make our flyer fee goal. In June we had a descent turnout at the launch. We need everyone and their donations so please contribute if you fly. Remember our recommended donation is $8.00-$10.00 per flyer per day, families with lots of young flyers maybe a $10.00 donation would be good. Again, these are recommendations not harden rule yet. The requested weekend land fee from the land owner is $250, so we need everyone to drop a little something in the jar.
Anyone needing to certify, please contact me ahead of time. We need to make sure the NAR guys can arrange to have the Level 2 NAR test delivered to the field. I will be at the launch both days for TRA certs.
We will meet at around 4:00pm on Saturday and 4:00pm on Sunday for a general meeting to discuss August and September dates plus any other business. I promise I will get to it this time.
PS Mark, were you going to have a another run of T-Shirts ready this launch? I believe we were going to duplicate the first order. Help me remember, I have forgotten.