This report was compiled and written by Louise Ferrell , in training ROCC Sec. Weather conditions were great on the flight line on Saturday 12/22, despite the forecast for rain and wind! Serious consideration had been given to canceling the launch. Fortunately "cooler heads prevailed" and we had a launch. I think that those who showed up on Saturday instead of heading to the malls had a terrific time! Many who showed were in the proper Christmas spirit wearing quite stylish "Santa fatigues" Ho Ho Ho!!! Click the "Read More" link for the rest...
For immediate release: Everyone asking about the The up coming NAR Rocket contest categories. ROCC Winter Meet '08 19 & 20 Jan, 2008 C Eggloft Duration B Streamer Duration Set Duration (50 seconds) �A Parachute Duration Here are links to plans for the various events: *C-Eggloft *1/2A Parachute *B-Streamer Contest models and / or supplies can be purchased here: * ASP Rocketry * QCR * Pratt Hobbies Set Duration can use any single staged rocket. Your goal is to get a flight time of 50 seconds. (from launch to landing) Regards, Bob Bernatchez PS, check out the next post for Bob's recommendation on streamer construction for the ultimate in drag! (Doc R)
Ralph just called and said that we're on for tomorrow, Dec. 22nd, as a make-up day for last week end... with a couple of minor changes: First, Ken won't be there, he can't make the trip for various reasons (Holiday, gas$$, stock, etc.) Second, and maybe most important, it'll be a 3.3 lb. & under day because of the filght wavier and weather possibilities. And third, based on weather, is we'll set up starting at 10:00, but watch for low cloud cover and wind levels as to when the field will close. That said, bring your estes and mid-power stuff and have a go! Happy Holly-daze to all and may your tree be filled with rocket-y goodness!
Everyone: After last weekends attempt to a launch was not very successful, we have scheduled this Saturday as a makeup day. Thank goodness for the rain. I still recommend caution on flying as we will evaluate conditions when we get to the field. If moisture levels in the woods are still pretty wet in the leaves on the ground I'd say we will be OK to fly to the norm. However, I have my doubts that the 1.0-1.5 inches of rain we had last week really helped much. So, again I urge caution. Official launch announcement: Saturday December 22nd 11:00 to 5:00 ROCC Sport launch (Recommend that Motor Power be limited and fly only the most stable and predictable rockets.) RSOs and LCO will be more stringent than normal. Lets try to keep altitudes limited to 2500 max and fly only up to I power, pending field conditions. Note: They are predicting (as of Wednesday) only a 10% chance of rain showers for Saturday, however, a 60% chance Saturday night. They are predicting NE breezes at only 5 mph and cloudy. This will be great if the ceiling will stay up. We were socked in to around 600' feet last Saturday. NAR or TRA Certifications: Please contact me ASAP to make sure we have the right people to get your cert done. I would encourage you to hold off on L2 certs until we have better field conditions. Charlie will attempt his NAR L! Saturday, So I need to have at least two NAR folks there for his flight. Vendors: Ken Allen from Performance hobbies will be there Saturday, please come out and do that last minute Christmas shopping. Meetings: We will have a around 3:00pm-3:30pm, no slacking off this year. Topics: ROCC Elections on Saturday Current Nominations: ROCC President, Ralph Roberts ANY Other Nominations.?? ROCC Vice President, Brad Shea ANY Other Nominations.?? ROCC Club Secretary/Treasure, Louise Ferrel, Roy Potter ANY other nominations ?? ROCC NAR Advisor, Bob Bernatchez Tripoli Positions can only be held by Tripoli Members and only Tripoli members can vote on these positions Tripoli Prefect, Ralph Roberts ANY other nominations ?? Tripoli Secretary, John Hood, Doug Knight. ANY other nominations ?? Due to slow turnout last month we will still except nominations up until the meeting. Will need to have a overall vote to add the position of Vice President, I will check the by-laws to make sure we add the office properly. I believe we would need to be an official 2/3rds vote for to add it. NAR Contest: Bob has a list and has been announced. 2008 Membership drive kick-off 2008 Flying schedule - Do we keep the same 3rd weekend? New T-Shirts are in make sure if we owed you on from last year, that you received. Duty Roster: I will have new sign-up sheets for the launches through April next year. Sign up to help, please!!!!!! Porta-Potty: Will be on-site this launch. Flyer-Fees: Please come out and fly and pay your fees. Recommended $8-$10 donation a day per flyer. We still have to pay the Piper. Rocket stuff Give-aways: Please bring out un-used kits, motors, rocket accessories to donate to a bin. I would like to do a give away every hour so we can to get everyone in the Christmas sprit. We can celebrate Christmas in July, right? Note: Keep an eye on email and the website for any changes regarding our launch. Questions, comments - Ralph Roberts @ email@example.com Sincerely, Ralph Roberts ROCC Prez and prefect.
Everyone: Due to the High Winds forecast for today the launch has been canceled. We are going to fly again next Saturday Dec 22nd for a make up date. Ken Allen is reschedule to come down as well. Thanks, Ralph Roberts ROCC Prez
Ralph called me to say that they are trying to beat the weather fron by moving up the start time for the launch. They will start field set-up at 9:00 AM, figuring that the weather will arrive about 3:00 PM. Come on out & fly early! Take care, we're in Maryland doing a show & hope to not get snowed in up here on Sunday! D&J
Everyone: I spoke with Kip Tuesday night and he has cleared us to launch, however, with restricted rockets and power levels. He himself had a small fire just about get out of hand up at his other farm this week so extreme care must be taken. We still have the surrounding areas to worry about as far as fire threat. We have had almost zero rain since last launch so there is a lot of dry vegetation to worry about. You may or may not be aware that when we have "High Wind" days the wildfire danger alerts are posted up on weather.com as special weather statements due to all the dry brush and debris on the ground. Official launch announcement: Saturday and Sunday December 15th and 16th from 11:00 to 5:00 each day Click on READ MORE:
Hello, Hello to all you Rocket Scientists, young and old, male and female, nerd and geek. It is good to be a Rocket Science Geek. Its about time I got this Post-Launch report out for our last launch, the 17th and 18th of November. We should have named it the �Great Turkey Launch�. We can�t complain about the weather. The wind and temperature were really good so the conditions were really great for both days. About the ROCC Club elections, Still Looking for nominations for ROCC President, has been suggested that with Brad Shea interested in helping, he run for Vice President and be in training for future President. ANY Other Nominations.?? Club Secretary/Treasure, it is said that Louise Ferrel MAY be interested. ANY other nominations???? Tripoli Secretary, John Hood has still got it with offered assistance from Doug Knight. ANY thing else? Click on "Read More" for the rest of the report:
Haven't posted in a couple weeks, with the holiday and all, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I just had a personal note to pass on, when I got home yesterday there were 3 blue envelopes in the mail box... my LEUP got here! Why the 3 envelopes?... don't know. Maybe they come from different departments, but you'd think they'd just put 'em in one. Go figure. Now to try for L2 again...!